April 5: Tally at 232, lockdown party blues, Chines aid criticised
The Lagos State Police Command on Monday arraigned a popular showbiz couple for flouting the lockdown order in Lagos State. Nollywood actress, Funke Akindele, and her husband, Abdulrasheed Bello popularly known as JJC Skillz, held a birthday party in an estate contrary to lockdown rules.
The couple were subject of social media bashing through much of Sunday after Funke posted photos of her husband’s birthday party. She subsequently explained in a social media post how the members of the party were pooled together.
An apologetic Funke said all attendees of the party resided in the estate where her media production house, Scene One, was based. She explained that no one came from outside the estate to attend the party and that some of the attendees had been at the place well before the lockdown order was issued by president Buhari last week.
Incidentally, she is one of the stars that the Nigeria Center for Disease Control, NCDC, is collaborating with on education the public against the coronavirus pandemic.
As at 09:30 pm 5th April, there are
232 confirmed cases
For a breakdown of cases by state
Akwa Ibom- 5
Meanwhile, Nigeria’s doctors’ association has protested the arrival in town of a medical team from China to support the country’s coronavirus combat efforts.
According to the Nigerian Medical Association, it would be better to make use of the many unemployed or under-employed medical personnel already in the country. It also said the Chinese doctors would not be familiar with the culture or challenges of working in Nigeria.
The Minister of Health on Saturday confirmed that a Chinese medical team had been invited to share their experience on how the pandemic had been handled in China and denied that they were coming to take charge of the fight against the virus.
On the subject of denials, the NCDC on Saturday dispelled rumours that material donated by China were infected. A post on their Twitter handle read: KNOW THE FACTS
Q: Are the medical kits received by Nigeria from China contaminated?
A: NO. There is no evidence that the kits received are contaminated with the virus that causes #COVID19
They are effective when safely used by health workers#TakeResponsibility
Minister Osagie Ohanire had last week had cause to dispel claims that medical kits donated by Chinese business mogul Jack Ma were contaminated. The business man delivered a package that included – test kits, masks, medical use protective suits and face shields – to all 54 African countries.
He has since announced a new round of donation as of April 6, the package includes 500 ventilators, 200,000 suits & face shields, 2,000 thermometers, 1 million swabs & extraction kits and 500, 000 gloves.
Other major highlights covered below are:
Buhari briefed, lockdown brutality criticised
*Govt knocks Soyinka, NCDC allocates Jack Ma’s donation
Cases rise to 139, infected Makinde speaks
Buhari signs lockdown regulations, cases rise to 131
Adenuga donates 1.5 billion naira, Senators donate 50% salaries
Buhari delivers nationwide address
Buhari briefed, el-Rufai tests positive
Nigeria’s testing up by 32% after Jack Ma’s donation
Elumelu’s UBA makes $14m donation
Ex-VP Atiku donates $135,000 towards relief fund
Bauchi State governor tests positive
Lagos closes all shops and markets for a week
President tests negative, chief of staff infected
Nigeria shuts all borders, cabinet meetings suspended
Lagos state battling chloroquine poisoning
Nigeria celebrates female doctor who identified index case
April 4: Tally at 210, Ondo records first case
Nigeria’s Health Minister has confirmed that the country is expecting a medical team from China to help boost response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Minister Osagie Enahire was speaking at a briefing of the presidential task force in the capital Abuja on Friday.
“An 18-man team of Chinese medical experts including doctors, nurses and other medical advisers shall come along with the flight to assist us. I must at this juncture commend our frontline workers who are doing a great job in case identification and management.
“As we prepare to contain COVID-19, we must not lose sight of other health challenges in our country. Routine health service must continue in our hospitals. Only a wing of tertiary health centres should be used for infected patients.”
He further disclosed that more medical supplies donated to support the response was due in the country soon. “I have been notified of medical supplies from China, courtesy of a group of Chinese companies working here in Nigeria. A special cargo aircraft shall leave Nigeria in a few days to collect the items which include commodities, personal protective equipment and ventilators,” he added.
The NCDC reported that as of April 3, Twenty new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Nigeria; 11 in Lagos, 3 in the FCT, 3 in Edo, 2 in Osun and 1 in Ondo – an index case. Two new deaths have been recorded in Lagos and Edo State.
Consequently, Nigeria’s overall tally stood at 210 confirmed cases with 25 persons discharged and a death toll of four.
April 3: Buhari briefed, lockdown brutality criticised
Nigeria’s case tally update as of April 3 stood at 190 according to the Nigeria Center for Disease control, NCDC. Six new cases in Osun brought their tally to 20 with 98 in Lagos and 38 in Abuja. Twenty have been discharged with two deaths.
President Buhari was on Thursday briefed by a finance team on the implications of the coronavirus on the economy. The president received among others, the Minister of Finance, the Central Bank governor, Minister of Petroleum Resources and head of the national petroleum body, NNPC.
Daughter of the president Hanan Buhari was also cleared after entering quarantine when she returned from the United Kingdom two weeks ago. Her mother tweeted that she had finally rejoined the family on Thursday evening.
The incidence of security forces abusing people while enforcing the lockdown has been criticised by rights group Amnesty International. The group is urging security agencies not to “abuse their powers” when it comes to enforcing movement restrictions in parts of the country.
The army has asked people to report excesses by its men by providing contacts via its social media handles. The police chief also warned officers to behave “humanely, tactfully and professionally”, stressing that conduct of officers would be monitored closely.
As at 11:00 am 3rd April, there are
190 confirmed cases
For a breakdown of cases by states- https://t.co/zQrpNeOfet
Akwa Ibom- 5
Benue- 1— NCDC (@NCDCgov) April 3, 2020
April 2: Govt knocks Soyinka, NCDC allocates Jack Ma’s donation
When literary giant and Nobel laureate Prof Wole Soyinka criticized the federal government for imposing a lockdown on two states and Abuja, there was a Twitter debate as to his locus in the issue whiles maintaining that he reserved the right to his opinions.
The presidency responded to Soyinka’s critique in a press statement signed by Buhari’s spokesperson, Garba Shehu.
Part of the statement read: “Prof Soyinka is not a medical professor. His qualifications are in English literature, and his prizes are for writing books, and plays for theatre. He is of course entitled to his opinions… but they cannot – and should not – be judged as professional expertise in this matter.”
The statement went on to cite how lockdowns in these times have become a key measure employed strategically by governments in the interest of public interest and health.
“Perhaps Wole Soyinka may write a play on the coronavirus pandemic, after this emergency is over. In the meantime, we ask the people of Nigeria to trust the words of our doctors and scientists – and not fiction writers – at this time of national crisis,” the statement concluded.
Nigeria’s case tally update as of April 1: Twenty-three new cases reported; 9 in Lagos, 7 in the FCT (Abuja), 5 in Akwa Ibom, 1 in Kaduna and 1 in Bauchi State. As at 08:00 pm 1st April there are 174 confirmed cases. Nine have been discharged with two deaths
The Nigeria Disease Control Center has meanwhile acknowledged receipt of a coronavirus donation by CEO of Ali Baba, Jack Ma. The NCDC has since allocated the package to all states across the country.
April 1: Cases rise to 139, governor Makinde speaks
As at close of day March 31, 2020; confirmed cases in Nigeria stood at 139 with 82 of those in Lagos. The commercial hub is enforcing a lockdown imposed by President Buhari to help arrest spread of the virus.
Total tallies are 139 confirmed cases, 9 discharged, 2 deaths. For a breakdown of cases by states in real time
Meanwhile in southwestern Oyo State, governor Seyi Makinde who recently tested positive for COVID-19 has explained why he is in principle not for a total lockdown.
Four states in the region are on total lockdown which has brought to the fore calls for same to be applied but Makinde says Oyo will consider a lockdown on facts and with the wider public interest in mind.
Speaking in an interview, Makinde said: “If you ask people not to come out, you lock down the market places, there are people who what they sell today – the profit from today’s activities is what they will eat tomorrow.
“There are plenty people like that within our environment. So, are there alternatives available to us? Can we do selective lockdowns? I think, everything is on the table but it has to follow a logical pattern & it will need the input of experts.